Monday 28 March 2011

A Tale of Two Yarns

Welcome to Day 1 of Knitting & Crochet Blog Week (mark II!).


Day One: A Tale of Two Yarns.

I very much enjoy experimenting with different fibres and blends, especially as it can often spark off new ideas. Some fibres, however are just not made to work together...

Crafting 365 Day 35: WIP

Above you will see a quantity of knitting. Looks harmless enough, doesn't it? Well, that's what I thought... This yarn was called Silk Cotton - 47% cotton and 53% silk - twisted together and it just about made me go 'round the twist, argh! I only knitted part of a small swatch...urgh. It was like working with rope, *dry-clean only* (!) and to top it off, left blue dye all over my lovely Brittany Birch knitting needles. I was more than a little hacked off, unsurprisingly.

On a brighter note though, I found that wool and bamboo got on like a house on fire. You get nice stitch definition, as well as the elasticity of wool combined with the silken sheen of bamboo, which makes for a very happy marriage indeed!

Crafting 365 Day 157: The wee blue shoes

4 comments:

AC said...

Silk and cotton? WEIRD. Now wool and silk....there's some good chemistry.

Stefanie said...

Great insight you gave about these mixed fiber yarns. It totally sucks when yarn you're excited to work with doesn't perform the way you'd like. I feel for you and have been there.

Julia said...

I sympathize with you about the first yarn...that's so frustrating!

Jen @ Wife, Mom, Knitter said...

Silk and cotton do sound like a weird combo.

Love the booties.